Argylle is an upcoming spy thriller film directed by Matthew Vaughn that boasts an ensemble cast, including Henry Cavill, Bryce Dallas Howard, Hugh Grant, Catherine O’Hara, Sam Rockwell, and Dua Lipa. Based on Ellie Conway’s novel of the same name.
- Theatrical release: February 2, 2024 (United States)
- Streaming release: August 2024 (Apple TV+)
- Directed by Matthew Vaughn
- Written by Jason Fuchs
- Based on the novel of the same name by Ellie Conway
- Cinematography by George Richmond
- Edited by Eddie Hamilton
- Produced by Matthew Vaughn, Adam Fox, and Zygi Kamien
- Distributed by Apple TV+
- Henry Cavill as Argylle
- Bryce Dallas Howard as Elly Conway
- Hugh Grant as John Reed
- Catherine O’Hara as Marjorie Conway
- Sam Rockwell as Aiden
- Dua Lipa as Sipglitz
- Argylle – A brilliant but introverted spy novelist who is drawn into the activities of a sinister underground syndicate.
- Elly Conway – Argylle’s love interest and a fellow spy who is determined to help him uncover the truth.
- John Reed – The leader of the underground syndicate.
- Marjorie Conway – Elly’s mother and a retired spy.
- Aiden – Argylle’s friend and a fellow spy who is also trying to uncover the truth.
- Sipglitz – A mysterious singer who is connected to the underground syndicate.
This film tells the tale of Argylle, an exceptional but introverted spy novelist drawn into the activities of an underground syndicate through his latest novel being made into a film adaptation. When his novel begins being shown at screenings around town, he begins to suspect something sinister is going on behind the scenes, soon discovering that this syndicate exists in real life with plans to use his knowledge of espionage to further their own devious goals.
Argylle has earned universal praise from film critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, with 10 reviews totalling 100% approval rating and an average score of 8.10 out of 10, Rotten Tomatoes gives this film 100% approval, and on Metacritic (which assigns weighted average scores from mainstream critics), gives this film an impressive score of 87 out of 100 – which shows universal acclaim!
Argylle has also been warmly received by audiences. Based on 1,000 votes, it holds an 8.5 out of 10 rating on IMDb and has been lauded for its action sequences, humor and performances.
Here are some of the pros and cons of Argylle:
- Stylish and entertaining
- Strong performances from the cast
- Exciting action sequences
- A fun and twisty plot
- Can be a bit over-the-top at times
- Not as grounded as some other spy thrillers
- Some may find the humor to be too juvenile
Argylle is an engaging spy thriller that is both stylish and captivating – an absolute must-see for fans of this genre!
Is Argylle the next James Bond?
With its stylish action sequences, international intrigue, and ensemble cast of stars, Argylle may draw comparisons to James Bond films but with its own distinct edge that sets it apart from traditional spy thrillers.
Who is the mysterious Sipglitz?
Sipglitz is a captivating yet enigmatic character who connects to the underground syndicate at the core of the Argylle story. Audiences remain mystified about her motives until the very end.
What is the truth behind Argylle’s latest novel?
As soon as his novel is made into a film adaptation, he begins to suspect it is more than fiction; digging deeper, he unearths an intricate web of secrets and conspiracies which may threaten his very survival.
Can Argylle and Elly Conway escape the clutches of the underground syndicate?
Argylle and Elly Conway’s attraction lies in their shared passion for espionage and desire to uncover the truth, yet their mission takes an unexpectedly risky turn when they are caught in the middle of an explosive conflict.
Will Argylle’s latest novel become his most dangerous assignment?
As his life becomes interwoven in his plot of his novel, the stakes become ever higher – forcing him to use all his skills as a spy novelist in order to stay alive and expose the truth.