Dakota Johnson is an American actress who has made waves in Hollywood. She is most well-known for portraying Anastasia Steele in the Fifty Shades of Grey movie trilogy. Johnson hails from a family of actors; some of their notable relatives can be traced back to some iconic figures within the industry.
Both her parents are actors. Don Johnson is best known for his roles in Miami Vice and Nash Bridges. At the same time, Melanie Griffith – daughter of Tippi Hedren and advertising executive Peter Griffith – has appeared in multiple movies, including Working Girl and Something to Talk About.
Johnson is named for two of her grandparents; Tippi Hedren is known for being a Hitchcock blonde who appeared in several Alfred Hitchcock films such as The Birds and Marnie; in addition to that, Hedren is well-known as an environmental activist and advertising executive (Peter Griffith) while Johnson’s maternal grandfather Peter Griffith served in military intelligence as well as being an advertising executive and former child actor (Paul Griffith).
Johnson has six half-siblings from both sides of her family. On her mother’s side, Johnson has Alexander Bauer as her half-brother and Stella Banderas as her half-sister; Bauer is an independent filmmaker, while Banderas works in acting and modeling. She has three half-brothers on her father’s side (Jesse Johnson is a musician, while Jasper and Deacon Johnson are both young actors) and one half-sister, Grace Johnson.
- Alexander Bauer (half-brother): Born in 1985, son of Melanie Griffith and Steven Bauer
- Stella Banderas (half-sister): Born in 1996, daughter of Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas
- Jesse Johnson (half-brother): Born in 1982, son of Don Johnson and Patti D’Arbanville
- Grace Johnson (half-sister): Born in 1999, daughter of Don Johnson and Kelley Phleger
- Jasper Johnson (half-brother): Born in 2002, son of Don Johnson and Penelope Spheeris
- Deacon Johnson (half-brother): Born in 2006, son of Don Johnson and Patti D’Arbanville
Her Extended Family
Johnson boasts several other notable relatives. Her stepfather is actor Antonio Banderas; Tracy Griffith serves as her step-aunt; production designer Clay A. Griffiths is her step-uncle; and actor Steven Bauer stands as one of her step-uncles.
Dakota Johnson’s relationship history
- Dakota Johnson dated actor Jordan Masterson from 2014 to 2016.
- The couple reportedly met through mutual friends and were often seen out and about together in Los Angeles.
- They broke up in 2016, reportedly due to conflicting schedules and long-distance.
- Dakota Johnson dated musician Matthew Hitt from 2017 to 2019.
- The couple was first seen together in 2017 and were often seen attending concerts and other events together.
- They broke up in 2019, reportedly due to personal differences.
- Dakota Johnson has been dating musician Chris Martin since 2017.
- The couple was first seen together leaving a Coldplay concert in Los Angeles.
- They have been very private about their relationship, but they have been seen out and about together on several occasions.
- They have reportedly purchased a home together in Malibu, California.
Here is a timeline of Dakota Johnson’s relationships:
- 2014 – 2016: Dakota Johnson dates actor Jordan Masterson
- 2017 – 2019: Dakota Johnson dates musician Matthew Hitt
- 2017 – present: Dakota Johnson dates musician Chris Martin
A Legacy of Success
Thanks to her acting talents, Dakota Johnson has become an esteemed actress in Hollywood. Coming from a lineage of successful actors herself, Dakota will only build on this legacy further.
Is Dakota Johnson related to any other celebrities?
Dakota Johnson has connections with several celebrities. She is the granddaughter of actress Tippi Hedren and Tracy Griffith; as well as stepdaughter to Steven Bauer and Antonio Banderas.
What is Dakota Johnson’s family tree like?
Dakota Johnson hails from a distinguished lineage. Both her parents are actors; additionally, several of Dakota’s grandparents and relatives work within the entertainment industry.
How does Dakota Johnson’s family background have influenced her career?
Dakota Johnson’s family background is no doubt influential to her career. Growing up surrounded by actors and filmmakers exposed her early to show business. This gave her an advantage in starting her own career; using family connections she has been able to secure roles in major movies and TV series.