Kevin Bacon is one of the most beloved actors working in Hollywood today, known for his incredible talent and adaptability in front of the camera. Over his three-decade-long career, he has appeared in films spanning genres as diverse as horror, comedy, and action – this article will highlight Kevin’s distinguished acting career while exploring some of his memorable performances by taking a deeper dive into some of his more notable movies featuring him.
Who exactly is this Kevin Bacon character?
Let’s take some time to get to know actor Kevin Bacon before venturing into film with him, shall we? Born in Philadelphia in 1958, Kevin Bacon began his professional acting career during the late ’70s when films such as ‘Footloose” and “Diner” saw early recognition for him as an actor. Over time he has gone on to become one of the most admired and versatile actors in Hollywood.
Kevin Bacon began filmmaking during the decade of the 1980s. Here is his filmography to date:
Kevin Bacon established himself as one of Hollywood’s leading men during the 1980s by appearing in numerous critically-acclaimed movies that allowed him to demonstrate both his talent and charisma. Here are some iconic roles he took part in during this era:
- Footloose (1984)- “Footloose” remains one of the most beloved movies starring Kevin Bacon for good reason. Bacon takes an integral role in this story that depicts him moving to an oppressive small town that forbids dancing; at its heart is Kevin’s exceptional dance abilities as the film showcases them throughout. Additionally, its success at the box office solidified his rise as one of Hollywood’s leading actors.
- Diner (1982)- Kevin Bacon plays Fenwick, one of several young guys living in Baltimore during the 1950s trying to figure out life. This film was both a commercial & critical success, earning praise for its realistic depiction of young guys interacting with one another.
- Tremors (1990)- Horror-comedy “Tremors” has become a beloved classic over time, thanks to Kevin Bacon playing Valentine McKee, a handyman living in a small desert hamlet who battles subterranean worms in this movie. Bacon excelled as an actor due to the film’s combination of comedic and terrifying elements, which showcased his flexibility as an actor.
Films From the Decade of the Nineties and Beyond Starring Kevin Bacon
As Kevin Bacon’s career advanced, his roles became both more challenging and diverse, covering many subgenres of film. Here is a selection of Kevin’s most important films from the 90s and beyond:
- Kevin Bacon stars as Captain Jack Ross, a Marine Corps defence counsel entrusted with representing two Marines charged with murder. This film became both financially and critically successful, garnering multiple Oscar nominations while solidifying Kevin Bacon as an esteemed performer.
- Apollo 13 (1995) Jack Swigert, played by Bacon in “Apollo 13,” is an astronaut on board Apollo 13’s doomed moon mission that ended up causing its destruction. The film proved financially successful at the box office and earned seven Academy Award nominations – including one for Best Picture.
- Wild Things (1998) Its Neve Campbell and Denise Richards’ Suzie Toller and Kelly Van Ryan, two high school students played by Neve Campbell and Denise Richards, respectively, allege rape against Sam Lombardo (Matt Dillon), their guidance counsellor, only for this to reveal itself as just the start of an investigation that quickly exposes lies and treachery, eventually showing us all that nothing is quite what it seems.
- Stir of Echoes (1999)- “Stir of Echoes” will keep audiences guessing from start to finish, from start to finish. Based on Richard Matheson’s book of the same name and directed by David Koepp, Kevin Bacon gives an outstanding performance as Tom Witzky; after being hypnotized, strange things begin happening to him that can only be described as bizarre. A well-made horror/mystery/drama film.
- Mystic River (2003) In “Mystic River”, Bacon plays Detective Sean Devine, investigating the murder of a little girl found dead in an urban neighbourhood of Boston. The movie proved both financial and critical success, earning multiple nominations at the Academy Awards as well as garnering praise for Bacon’s ability to portray multidimensional and nuanced characters.
Recent Years: Kevin Bacon’s Most Recent Films
Kevin Bacon has established a track record of taking on challenging yet engaging roles across a broad spectrum of film genres in recent years. Below are a selection of these most recent projects:
- Frost/Nixon (2008) mes An engaging look back at one of the pivotal events in American political history may be found in Frost/Nixon, an intriguing documentary film that depicts what went on behind the scenes prior to Frost and Nixon’s interviews, their rigorous training programs, and any potential emotional tension during those interviews.
- (2011) Set against the 1960s Cold War backdrop, X-Men: First Class is an entertaining prequel about mutant superheroes’ early days during this Cold War prequel film. Professor X (James McAvoy) and Magneto (Michael Fassbender) play friends-turned-rivals while recruiting teenage mutants like Mystique (Jennifer Lawrence), Beast (Nicholas Hoult), and Havok (Lucas Till) to stop Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon)’s plan of starting World War III between USSR/US forces.
- Jayne Mansfield’s Car (2012)- This story is well-crafted, dramatic and suspenseful. It expertly weaves personal experiences with geopolitical context; pitting Xavier’s pacifism against Lensherr’s extremism; as well as exploring Hellfire Club, Sentinels and Cerebro’s origins in one film.
- Cop Car (2015) Kevin Bacon makes his acting debut in “Cop Car,” playing the part of an unscrupulous sheriff who embarks on an exciting chase to regain possession of his stolen police car from two young boys. This movie received positive reviews due to its engaging story and Kevin Bacon’s stellar portrayal as its antagonist.
- Patriots Day (2016)- In “Patriots Day,” Bacon stars as FBI Special Agent Richard DesLauriers, who leads the investigation of the Boston Marathon bombing. Bacon excelled at portraying real individuals under immense pressure – which proved both financially and critically successful for this film.
- (2016-20117) In “I Love Dick”, Kathryn Hahn portrays Chris, a struggling filmmaker who travels with her husband Sylvere (Gryphon Dunne) to Marfa, Texas, for an artist residency program. Once there, Chris develops feelings for Dick (Kevin Bacon), an esteemed local artist highly sought-after by local women.
- (2020) Have You Considered Retiring Yet?- Kevin Bacon stars as a screenwriter in “You Should Have Left,” playing alongside his younger wife and daughter as they move into an isolated mansion in Wales, only to discover its sinister past as well as its many secrets. Critics responded positively to this psychological thriller film; many singled out Kevin’s acting performance to praise them.
Kevin Bacon has several upcoming movies. They are:
- The Toxic Avenger is an updated remake of the 1984 cult classic. Kevin Bacon will portray Dr Killbrew, the scientist responsible for turning Melvin into Toxic Avenger.
- Ti West’s MaXXXine will star Kevin Bacon alongside Mia Goth, Jenna Ortega and Martin Henderson.
- Beverly Hills Cop: Axel Foley is a sequel to the 1984 film Beverly Hills Cop and will see Kevin Bacon reprise his role as Detective Sergeant Peter Dellaplane.
- Space Oddity, directed by Kyra Sedgwick and starring Kevin Bacon alongside Alexandra Shipp, Kyle Allen and Simon Helberg, is set for release later this year.
All three films are currently in post-production and should be out by 2023 or 2024.
Kevin Bacon has enjoyed an illustrious and diverse filmography since making his big-screen debut in Footloose (1984), appearing in films that have gone on to become beloved classics, cult hits, and critical darlings alike. His career has been both remarkable and eclectic: from “Footloose” through suspenseful thrillers, Kevin has established himself as one of the most talented and versatile actors of his generation – recently appearing in suspenseful thrillers as well. Given that Kevin shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon, we’re eagerly anticipating what films Kevin will staring next!
What is Kevin Bacon’s most famous movie?
Kevin Bacon’s most famous movie is arguable “Footloose,” a 1984 dance drama that helped to launch his career.
How many movies has Kevin Bacon been in?
Kevin Bacon has appeared in over 100 movies throughout his career.
Has Kevin Bacon won any awards for his acting?
Yes, Kevin Bacon has won several awards for his acting, including a Golden Globe for his role in “Taking Chance.”
What is Kevin Bacon’s net worth?
Kevin Bacon’s net worth is estimated to be around $50 million.
Is Kevin Bacon related to the actor Bacon Brothers?
Yes, Kevin Bacon is one half of the musical duo The Bacon Brothers, along with his brother Michael.
What Netflix series is Kevin Bacon in?
Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon.
What is the new Kevin Bacon movie on Netflix?
Leave the World Behind
What is the upcoming Kevin movie on Netflix?
“Lift” on 25th August 2023